Training your dog requires a good deal of persistence to be both an enjoyable and successful for you and your four legged friend. Here are 10 straightforward dog training ideas and tips to help guide you towards doing the job right.
If, after reading through this article you would like further details about more advanced dog training guidance and advice, you can find that information at http://10adsensesecrets.net/adv_dg_trg.html
1. Get your dog's full attention Before you can start the actual physical process of training your dog, you must first ensure that you have his (or her) full and undivided attention. This can best be achieved by simply talking to him and offering him a mini treat at the same time.
2. Utilize the correct dog training materials If your dog s well behaved and not too boisterous, a long breeding leash and a regular fastening collar will be perfectly adequate. If, however, your pet is over-excitable, or particularly boisterous, then it is probably best to use a specialized training collar. To ascertain the correct size, simply measure your dogs' neck circumference and add 2 inches.
3. Keeping your dog safe in your car Before you ever think about letting your dog et anywhere near riding in your family car, you should make sure that he understands and reacts to the 'down!' and 'stay in the correct way. This ensures that he you can control him quickly if your vehicle is on the move, thus minimizing the stress suffered by both you and your dog.
4. Damage Around The House The most likely cause of damage or spoiling inside your house is that your dog needs to answer a call of nature in a hurry! Train him from day one that there is a correct and an incorrect way of him dealing with this problem, and the correct way is most definitely outside!
5. Be Generous With Your Praise Always heap praise upon your dog when he succeeds in mastering a new command.
6. Use Reprimands Properly There is no need to hit your dog and, quite frankly, doing so achieves little or nothing!! Whenever your dog is engaging in bad behaviour, take time to teach him the 'stop!' and/or 'no!' command. Either of these will be extremely effective and quite powerful reprimands once your dog learns them, as can the 'stay!' instruction. Tone of voice is important, of course, and should be measured to suit the severity of the situation.
7. Find Time To Play With Your Dog There is nothing that a dog (particularly a youngster) enjoys more than playing with you, and such an exercise is an excellent way of building a bond between you. Any such understanding that is built in this way is in itself an extremely useful aid to your future dog training and obedience regime. 8. A Little Bit of Training Every Day Try not to rush your efforts to teach your pet. Take it one day and one command at a time and, in particular, never give up on teaching that one command until you are absolutely sure that your dog understands exactly what is required of him. Be patient, take one step at a time, and never try to push your training program along to quickly.
9. Be Patient When Things Are Not Going Well. Even if your dog seems to b learning too slowly, or does not seem to be able to understand what it is that you require, never lose your patience or temper. Keep calm, and move along at a pace that your dog can handle, even if you believe that he should be making must swifter progress.
10. Be Consistent Every single person on the face of planet earth has good days and bad days. Likewise with the family dog! Remember this fact, and don't take your bad days out on your most loyal friend. Also, you must always try to use the same command phrases when training him, so that he will understand that such a phrase can only mean one thing.
Sticking with these ten guidelines should ensure that training your dog is never too stressful or tiring for either of you, and it will always be easier and more effective training your dog if he is happy and contented.
About the Author :
Steve Cowan is an Asia based entrepreneur who runs the leading "Self Help" audiobook site at www.talkalive.com and compiles a blog offering a wide diversity of reviews at www.webbiz99.com